Hotstillsupdates

0
06 Dec 2009
CHENNAI: Next year’s mid-summer may turn momentous for Dravidian politics. M Karunanidhi would retire from active politics after June 2010, the octogenarian DMK president himself hinted at a function on Saturday.
“I’ve realised many of my goals — except a few like constructing new Assembly complex, a world-class library named after Arignar Anna and holding the World Classical Tamil Conference in June 2010. After the conference, I will come closer to you, keeping away the politics, ministerial position, and I will be one among you,” the 85-year-old Tamil Nadu chief minister said.
The announcement, which he made during function organised by the Arundathiyar organisations, surprised his ministerial colleagues who had gathered at the venue.
Stating that he had been working for the welfare of the poor throughout his political career, Karunanidhi promised that he would continue to do so for the rest of his life. It doesn’t require a ministerial post to help the downtrodden, he added.
Observers say more party veterans may now emulate Karunanidhi to make the party “youthful”.

Post a Comment

 
Top